Saturday, October 9, 2010

That "Dating Thing" Again

(http://www.dailyclipart.net/)

Boy, am I glad my daughter is more interested in hanging with her friends (guys and girls), than dating.

I know I’m going to sound like a total prude here, but wow.

I know that kids date early. 13, 14, 15…and *gasp* even younger!

I’m just glad that my kid isn’t into it.

A Facebook status of one of Becca’s friends: “Nine months together…I love you, baby.”

The girl is 15.

Really?

She loves him?

Now, I’m not saying that high school sweethearts can’t end up together, happily ever after. I have several friends who are still with (and married to) their high school sweetheart… I think that it’s wonderfully romantic.

And I’m not saying that today’s teens can’t have that kind of a long-lasting relationship… Who am I to judge (or to try and predict the future)?

I’m just saying… What, exactly, do teens stand to gain by having long-term romantic relationships?

And what about the teens who hop from boy to boy (or girl to girl)?

Is this really what they’re supposed to be worried about? (Is he gonna call me? Why isn’t he texting me? She didn’t even talk to me at school. I’m so mad…so miserable…so sad…)

Why does friendship (yes, even with the opposite sex) sound so much more appealing?

And evidently, it must sound that way to Becca, too…and most of her friends.

Becca says that there’s enough “drama” in life without having to deal with the roller coaster of emotions that dating brings.

I have to agree with her.

There’s plenty of time to grow up, and get serious.

No comments:

Post a Comment