Sunday, August 22, 2010

Growing Up in a Homeschool Group (If They’re Getting Older, That Means I Am Too!)

Becca actually came up with today’s topic. She’s just amazed these days, watching the younger kids maturing and changing. And now she knows how I feel!

When you’re involved in a homeschool group, you almost become a parent (or aunt or uncle) to everybody else’s kids too. That whole “it takes a village” comes to mind. We love all of the children as if they’re family. We hug them, correct them, cry for them and cheer for them. We’re directly involved in everyone else’s lives, because we’re around each other so much. For someone who doesn’t have family (like us), our homeschool family became more than just friends… Our lives revolve around them. They ARE our family.

When we started homeschooling, Becca was 9! A little skinny kid with crooked teeth and a sunny attitude. Today, well she looks wayyyy too much like an adult, her teeth are straight (thanks to orthodontics) and she’s still sunny (well, with about a 20 percent chance of clouds and rain). ;oD

Her friends are driving (and she soon will be too). They’re taking more interest in the opposite sex (ack!) and they’re more interested in “hanging out” than going on field trips, doing school work, or just about anything else!

It’s tough to see them change and grow. But we must let them grow up, get out, and need us less and less. And when they suffer a heartbreak (with friends, with “crushes”), they need us more than ever.

Sometimes it’s hard to let go. And we’re constantly reminded that it’s not time…not just yet…

4 comments:

  1. I didn't know you blogging this! Wow I thinks its fantastic that you are so that parents of older kids can be inspired! Obviously public high school is not for all kids! Its great that Becca is intelligent enough to know what she neds and to let you know that and help you figure out how to help her become happy healthy contributing member of society in her own way! WTG Linda and Becca!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, my friend!!! Your support (and encouragement) means so much to me. ;o)

    ~ Linda

    ReplyDelete
  3. ((((Hugs))) I am not far behind you with Killian being 14 :(!!! I get panic attacks just thinking about it...he is an only child too!!! I feel so happy when I stop and think at least I still have time left...I need to slow down and just be in the moment !!! It is so hard though...like you were saying we are watching all the other kids grow up and starting to do more adult things in life and it scares me!!! I have watched them grow and mature and cry and laugh and I have been there through all of it...feeling the same things because they are like my nieces and nephews!!! I too have no family here so you guys have become our family!!! I am so grateful to have my homeschool family...I wouldn't know what to do with out you guys!!! <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ditto, Jen. We're very fortunate!!!

    ~ Linda

    ReplyDelete