Saturday, September 11, 2010

A Time for Reflection...

The Sphere
(One of the few public art treasures recovered from the WTC site)

I guess we all can remember where we were, 9 years ago today. It’s just one of those things.

I was at Becca’s school, volunteering in the library. The Assistant Principal was watching the TV in the AV room. She had an unforgettable look on her face. I didn’t know what was happening. Then someone told me.

At first we thought it was some kind of accident. Little did we know…

I called Bob, and told him that I was pulling Becca out of school and going home. The base was on alert. Bob wasn’t going anywhere.

I knew I had to be home, where I felt “safest.” (As safe as we could feel at that time.) And I wanted my baby with me.

I wonder how many other people did the same thing that day.

How many people grabbed their children and took them home. And watched. And waited…with hope.

The world changed on that date; September 11, 2001.

No one can deny that we live in a different world today than we did 10 years ago.

Sometimes our priorities can shift. Though Becca was always the center of my life, when I put things in perspective, I realized that life is way too short to waste it on things that aren’t worth your time.

And I can’t help but wonder how much of my decision to homeschool was based on the world, as we knew it, changing.

No comments:

Post a Comment