Sunday, September 5, 2010

Warning: Homeschooling Can Be Contagious (Isn’t There a Pill for That?)


Not too long after I pulled Becca out of public school, I received a call from a friend. She knew other friends and family members who were homeschooling, and she was considering it for her children. Needless to say, her kids never returned to school.

Another friend saw me at a community event. She called me over and said, “I want to talk to you.” (My first response to that is always, “Oh no, what did I do…”) But all she wanted was to ask a few questions about homeschooling. (She had a few concerns as well.) She was thinking of pulling her daughter out of public school. She’s been homeschooling for about two years now…

And last year, one of Becca’s BFFs spent his last year in public school. His mom is now homeschooling him and he couldn’t be happier.

Now I’m not going to sit here and tell you that all of these people who are now homeschooling did it because of me (or us). What I believe is that once people see someone close to them doing it, they think, “Hey, she makes it look easy. Maybe I can do it too!”

Having someone close to you start to homeschool may give you that last little push that you need toward doing it. (Heck that’s what finally happened to me. I found someone doing it, who made it look “doable.”)

I have at least two other friends now who are considering the homeschooling option for their children. (Like I said, contagious maybe?)

It’s nice to know that people can look at my homeschooling efforts and think, “If she can do it, maybe I can do it too…”

No comments:

Post a Comment